On Thursday, 15 July, experts from governments, the private sector and civil society will showcase ongoing pandemic recovery efforts and identify how countries can best target their strategies to build back better from the novel coronavirus and make progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
The event, to be hosted by ESCAP with the support of Fiji, Pakistan and the Philippines, is part of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. Discussions will be framed by the four-point recovery agenda presented in “Beyond the pandemic: Building back better from crises in Asia and the Pacific,” the theme study for the 77th session of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. That agenda called on countries to focus on broadening social protection, invest in a sustained recovery, strengthen connectivity and supply chains, and mend the broken relationship with nature.
Members of the media and public are invited to watch the proceedings online.
When: Thursday, 15 July, 18:30 – 20:00 (Bangkok time - GMT+7)
Watch online: https://youtu.be/Fv6bX_kk3-I
- Opening statement by Ms. Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- H.E. Ms. Mereseini Rakuita Vuniwaqa, Minister for Women, Children and Poverty Alleviation, Fiji
- H.E. Ms. Rosemarie G. Edillon, Undersecretary of the National Economic and Development Authority, Philippines
- Mr. Muhammad Irfan Tariq, Director General (Environment and Climate Change), Ministry of Climate Change, Pakistan
- Ms. Anju Mangal, Asia Regional Coordinator, Alliance for Affordable Internet